A. Portuguese Golden Visa
1. What is the Golden Visa?
The Golden Visa is a residence permit for investors of non-EU countries that would like to live, work, stay in Portugal and have access to the Schengen Area.
2. Which are the advantages of the Golden Visa?
No visa is required to enter Portugal;
Live and work in Portugal with a minimum stay period of 14 days in the first two years of residence permit validity and 21 in the block of three years;
Circulate in the Schengen Area (other European countries which are part of the Schengen Area;
Benefit of the family reunion program;
Obtain the permanent residency after 5 years;
Obtain the Portuguese citizenship after 5 years;
3. For how long is the Golden Visa residence permit valid?
After it is issued it is valid for two year. After the end of the two years it is renewable for periods of three years.
4. What are the personal requirements for the investor?
Not being an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen;
Not having been convicted of a crime punishable in Portugal by more than 1-year imprisonment;
Not having been banned from entering the Schengen Space.
5. Is it possible to extend the Golden Visa to family members?
Yes. Family reunion is possible. For children older than 18 years it is necessary to proof that they are single, economically dependent from their parents and still studying.
6. How can the investor and family obtain the Portuguese Citizenship after just 5 years?
Yes. It will though be necessary to prove a certain knowledge of Portuguese and connections to the Portuguese country.
7. How much are the costs SEF (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteias) charge as a fee for the Golden Visa procedures?
Processing fee (application and renewal) – EUR 533.90 (plus EUR 83.30 per family member)
Issuance of the golden visa card – EUR 5,336.40
Issuance golden visa for family members – EUR 5,336.40
Renewal of golden visa card – EUR 2,668.20
B. Portuguese Golden Visa Investment Fund
1. What is the difference between a normal investment fund and a fund for accumulation?
The normal investment fund will a pay yearly amount to investors usually in the form of dividends. An investment fund for accumulation will only distribute the returns in the end of the 6th anniversary of the Fund.
2. How long do I have to leave the money in the FUND?
The maturity of the FUNDS is usually of 6 years.
3. Are there any costs for the investor related with the investment in the fund?
Depends on the eligible investment fund.
4. Is it relevant from where the investment to the FUND is made?
Yes. It should come from the investors Portuguese bank account.
5. Does the investment of €500.000 include the legal process by the lawyer?
No. A lawyer should be hired for the legal process.
6. Does the FUND repay the total amount of €500.000 invested after his maturity?
The repayment is done like in any other fund. There are no formal guaranties.
7. Are the Investment Funds officially registered?
The investment FUNDS are registered fully regulated by the Portuguese stock exchange.
You may check by yourself: https://www.cmvm.pt/en/Pages/homepage.aspx